Fire Destroys 5 Zinc Houses in New Kru Town

0
1134
Untitled-7.jpg

A fire outbreak, apparently caused by an unattended candle, last Saturday consumed five zinc houses in New Kru Town, rendering several families homeless and unspecified amounts of Liberian and US dollars destroyed.

 The incident took place about 10:30 p.m., according to landlord Mr. D. Sonpon Weah, who told journalists that he suspected the cause of the fire to be an unattended candle or a cigarette.

 “I was watching television in the other house when I heard the noise of fire outside,” said Weah.  “So I rushed outside to find out that fire was already blazing in one of the rooms.”

 He said he rallied support from the community and many came

to help extinguish the fire.   One of them that he could not identify reportedly picked up a gallon that contained ‘cane juice’ and poured it on the fire, which immediately increased its intensity.

  One of the victims, Ms. Christiana Alfred, (Ama) said she lost her business, including unspecified amounts of Liberian and US dollars.

 “The Liberian dollars could be more than 50,000, along with the US dollars,” she said.

 “Now everything is gone,” she cried.  Ms. Alfred deals in cold water and soft drinks and draws her customers from the community and beyond.

    Meanwhile, Mr. Weah told the Daily Observer that his lap top and other important items, including his clothes, were burnt and he would need urgent support from the Liberia National Red Cross Society.

Leave a Reply