Deputy Minister Henry Yonton has said that the Ministry is yet to receive an official communication from the Liberia Amputee Football & Sports Association (LAFASA) about its participation in the 2015 Amputee Soccer World Cup in Culiacan, Sinaloa, Mexico which runs from November 30-December 8, 2014.
Minister Yonton told the Daily Observer in an exclusive interview yesterday that there is no letter on his desk relating to Liberia’s invitation or participation from the local governing amputee body, but only heard it over radios and in newspapers, that Liberia — Africa’s triple soccer champion, is expected to join other African countries in Mexico.
“Normally, when the Minister receives a communication about sports he sends it down to me as head to act, but unfortunately up to this time, there is no letter on my desk relating to the 2015 Amputee Soccer World Cup,” he said.
However, in a telephone conversation yesterday, LAFASA president Melvin Cooper Gotten told the Daily Observer that a letter had already been sent to the Ministry of Youth and Sports.
Meanwhile several amputee soccer followers are wondering if at all Liberia would be allowed to participate in the Amputee World Cup in Mexico due to the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in the country.
Recall that due to the Ebola outbreak, a friendly international soccer outlined between Liberia and the United States was recently cancelled.
Additionally, a team of Liberian athletes could not be allowed to participate in the recent Nanjing, China Youth Olympics and two teams of Liberia handball players were denied participation at the recent tournament to Lome, Togo.
Liberia is the current and triple champions in the amputee division in Africa.
Team Liberia's captain Festus Harrison currently holds the African best player award, while goalkeeper Joseph Allen is the best on the continent.