Flashback: Photos of the four quarterfinalists including LISCR FC (upper left), FC Fassel (upper right), title holders, Monrovia Club Breweries (left) and third division side, Samira FC (right)

– FC Fassel 1-1 LISCR FC, Samira FC 2-2 Monrovia Club Breweries

The last two matches in the ongoing FA Cup quarter finals first leg yesterday ended with scores leveled at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium.

The top clash between first-division rivals FC Fassel and LISCR FC ended in a one-all draw after Sekou Sherriff swung in a left-foot free kick from the edge of the box to rescue the Shipping Boys (LISCR FC) from their first defeat.

LISCR FC was awarded the free kick after midfielder Sherriff was brought down at the edge of the box.

The Shipping Boys went in the early minutes of the first half after forward Terrace Tisdell got the opener for the Soccer Missionaries (FC Fassel) through a left-foot placement in the lower right corner of the LISCR goalpost, thanks to striker Sam Collins for the skillful pass to the forward.

LISCR could have overturned the score in the first after striker Christopher Jackson missed a low shot sent across Fassel’s defense by teammate Trokon Myers.

The score remained leveled in the first half.

Later in the second half, the Soccer Missionaries who are now seated six points clear on top of the league table, mounted more pressure on Coach Tapha Manneh’s boys for a winning goal, but kept missing their chances.

Under pressure LISCR kept a defensive posture but they were lucky to secure the draw after Fassel’s striker Sam Collins missed a clear header from close range in three minutes added time.

Striker Collins was left unmarked in LISCR’s defense and jumped too high to send forward Tisdell’s long volley from the right flank over the cross bar.

The second leg scheduled for July 5-6 will determine the next three semi-finalists to join ELWA United in the last four of the competition.

It was Gambian Coach Tapha Manneh’s 22nd match as head Coach of the Shipping Boys and he is yet to taste defeat. The Gambian has maintained that his team only enters a game to win or draw and cannot afford to lose.

In the day’s first quarter final match, the 3rd division lone representative in the competition Scoring Scorpions of Samira were held to a 2-2 draw by title holders Monrovia Club Breweries.

The title holders took the lead in the 37th minute after goalkeeper Abdulai Koulibaly scored his sixth goal of the season from the penalty spot.

The lone goal by Koulibaly, who remains the only goal keeper among top goal scorers in the championship, sent his side for the first break with a goal lead.

The Scoring Scorpions returned to the second half with force and Jimmy Mulbah got the equalizer in the 47th minute.

The third division side later took the lead in the 80th minute that could have secured all three points, but the title holders kept the title defense alive through a late goal from Benjamin Sackoh.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here