The World Health Organization (WHO) has admitted to failure in managing the recent scope of the Ebola outbreak and falling short of providing a quick and suitable response to countries affected by the disease.
A broad range of factors including mismanagement, bureaucracy, underfunding, poor communication and incompetent healthcare staff are to blame for failing to stop the spread of the mortal disease, WHO said in a draft internal document which was leaked out on Friday October 17, 2014.
The Internal Document was quoted as saying, “Nearly everyone involved in the outbreak response failed to see some fairly plain writing on the wall."
According to the report, the WHO experts failed to realize that the traditional approaches to disease containment wound be of no substantial effect in Africa, which has for long been beset with a weak health system.
Also, Dr. Peter Piot, the Ebola virus co-discoverer, lashed out at the WHO for responding too slowly to the epidemic which has so far claimed the lives of nearly 4,493 people all around the world, while more people have been infected.
Questioning the performance of the agency, Dr. Piot said, “Five months passed and more than 1,000 people lost their lives before WHO finally declared the deadly epidemic an international health emergency.”
Earlier this week, the World Health Organization announced that Ebola’s infection rate was likely to exceed 10,000 new cases per week in the next two months, adding that the epidemic’s mortality rate had reached 70 percent.
Ebola is a form of hemorrhagic fever whose symptoms are diarrhea, vomiting and bleeding.
The virus spreads through direct contact with infected blood, feces or sweat. It can be also spread through sexual contact or the unprotected handling of contaminated corpses. There is currently no known cure for Ebola.