Curtis Resigns from ANC

16
3366

Montserrado Electoral District #17 representative aspirant George Varney Curtis has resigned from the Alternative National Congress (ANC). Until his resignation over the weekend, the ANC has been Mr. Curtis’ political home for the past year. In his letter of resignation dated July 18, Mr. Curtis said the party has failed to uphold the tenets of democracy upon which it claims to be built and is seeking national leadership positions in the context of wanting to give the country the best it deserves.

“I believe political institutions are established based on principles that protect democratic precepts and promote honesty, sincerity and fairness in the execution of those principles. However, when these principles are breached and measurable actions are not taken to remedy the situation, then it warrants conscious minded people to take steps that are conventionally acceptable,” Curtis said in his letter. “ANC’s inability to conduct a simple district primary between two aspirants, when the required number of delegates was present, and failure to conduct same primary on June 22, when the same delegates were present and made up a quorum, and the ANC’s decision to indefinitely postpone the district’s primary, but at the same time, submitted one of the two aspirants’ name to NEC when there were unresolved issues, is a serious matter and brings lots of questions rather than answers as it relates to credibility.

“The party’s inability to conduct same primary when NEC’s Hearing Office had ruled that the said primary be conducted within 72 hours as of Wednesday, July 12 to 15, and especially so when the ruling specifically mandated the party to hold the primary with the same delegates admitted into evidence during the hearing,” were also pointed out. These practices on the part of ANC suggest that the party harbors a preconceived mindset to have his opponent on its ticket and that “the primary was just a formality to validate the party’s dishonest, unfair and insincere manners,” Curtis stated.

It can be recalled that Curtis on July 10 filed a complaint against the ANC for not holding the Montserrado District #17’s primary, most especially after collecting US$1,500 from him and his opponent in the race, Abraham C. Sesay, as registration fee to contest the primary. Addressing this newspaper over the weekend, Curtis said even though he has left the party, he will pray that the Supreme Court would not allow Sesay to contest on the ANC ticket.

“We have to be honest and discourage all forms of corrupt practices, regardless of the persons or institutions involved,” he said. “ANC will pay my money back and forfeit this district’s seat in these elections. They will not succeed, no matter what.” Curtis said he is not barred by any law, including the Code of Conduct, from contesting October’s elections because his actions are within the confines of all legally accepted laws of Liberia. He said the party has received and signed for his letter of resignation on the same date (July 18) it was delivered and that a copy of he same letter was filed with the NEC.

All efforts to get any response from the ANC proved futile as neither the press and public affairs office or the office of the chairman responded.

David S. Menjor is a Liberian journalist whose work, mainly in the print media has given so much meaning to the world of balanced and credible mass communication. David is married and interestingly he is also knowledgeable in the area of education since he has received some primary teacher training from the Kakata Rural Teacher Training Institute (KRTTI). David, after leaving Radio Five, a broadcast media outlet, in 2016, he took on the challenge to venture into the print media affairs with the Dailly Observer Newspaper. Since then he has created his own enviable space. He is a student at the University of Liberia.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here