Two Americans Investigating Harry Greaves Death

Benedict & Greaves.jpg

Circumstances that led to the death of former LPRC Managing Director Harry Greaves Jr., will be the preoccupation of two American criminal investigators, who are presently helping the Liberia National Police in the probe.

According to Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Benedict F. Sannoh, the two Americans, who arrived in the country recently, have already begun their investigations.

“They are here to assist with the investigation surrounding the death of Harry Greaves,” he said.

Minister Sannoh made the disclosure on Friday at the Information Ministry’s regular press briefing on Capitol Hill in Monrovia.

He explained that the arrival of the two American law enforcement officers is in response to the request by President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf for the United States government to assist with the ongoing investigation of Mr. Greaves’ death.

The Attorney General said if it is necessary to conduct another forensic examination on the body of the Mr. Greaves, the government would underwrite the cost of the process, stressing the need for a credible report.

Minister Sannoh denied media reports that there were serious contradictions in the report from the John F. Kennedy Hospital (JFK) and the autopsy report conducted by American pathologist Thomas Bennett.

He said an independent pathologist is expected in Liberia soon to examine the John F. Kennedy report and the current autopsy report and insists the government has not wavered on its promise to do a full-scale investigation into the death of Mr. Greaves.

The Attorney General maintained that only the Ministers of Justice and Information and the Liberia National Police have the authority to speak on the death of Mr. Greaves.

Cllr. Sannoh again admonished members of the press to desist from spreading “falsehood concerning the situation.”

He said Mr. Greaves died of drowning, according to the autopsy performed by the two pathologists from the United States-based Nebraska Institute of Forensic Sciences.

The preliminary report of postmortem examination by Dr. Thomas Bennett attributed the cause of death to drowning, that the injury on the deceased’s head was caused after his death and that no foreign object penetrated his rectum.

The report further noted that what was said to be acid on the body were signs of peeling because the body stayed more than eight hours under salt water.

However, many Liberians have questioned the preliminary report and called on the government to get to the bottom of the matter to find out what or who could be responsible for Greaves’ death.

Harry A. Greaves was last seen on Friday, January 29, and his body was later found on the beach behind the Ministry of Foreign Affairs early Sunday, January 31, after his driver had reportedly dropped him off at RLJ two days earlier.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here