Sickle Cell Patient Abandoned at JFK, Leading to Death of Representative’s Daughter


From all indications, the message from national government urging people to visit the hospitals when experiencing illness remains an illusion, as many deaths are attributed to lack of medical facilities or fear of Ebola.

Government over the period had been preaching “when you feel signs and symptoms of Ebola, please visit the nearest health center for early treatment.”

Unfortunately, private and public medical facilities have virtually closed their doors to Liberians.

There have been many cases of reported deaths, largely blamed on lack of health facility or fear of Ebola by unprotected health workers.

Latest of them is the only daughter of Representative Edward Forh, who died at the John F. Kennedy Memorial Hospital on Saturday morning.

Nakita Diah Forh, a student of Stella Maris Polytechnic, was a sad victim of “poor and inefficient” health care delivery service at JFK when she was denied and rejected by doctors at the hospital Friday night, the first time she was taken for medical attention, Representative Forh asserted in tears.

Explaining his ordeal to family sources, Forh lamented that his daughter, a sickle cell patient, was struggling for breath at home when he was advised to rush her to JFK, the only hospital in Monrovia with the facility for such a patient.

“When we got to the hospital, doctors and nurses on duty refused to pay attention to my daughter, leaving her to continue to struggle for breath. I identified myself as a Representative of the 53rd District of the National Legislature, but no one could listen to me. My fight to get someone to treat her was fruitless.

A doctor emerged from a room, dressed in his Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and attempted to attend to her.  But he later advised that they could not do anything, and that I should take her home and return the next day. All these things took place around 10 p.m. With deep sorrow and heavy heart, I took her home and returned to JFK the next morning. Regrettably, my baby had to walk to the Emergency Room with no one attending to her. No stretcher, no bed to help my daughter,” Forh lamented.

Sadly, Nakita Diah Forh died in the hands of her father after several hours of fighting to check breath.

Representative Forh, in tears took his daughter’s body home as the hospital could not also take the body, according to him.

The family stayed with the dead until later Sunday afternoon when House Speaker J. Alex Tyler called to inform the family that test conducted by the Health Ministry proved that she (Nakita) did not die of Ebola.

Accordingly, the body is currently at the Samuel Striker Funeral home pending funeral arrangements.

Political commentators are wondering as to what has  become of ordinary Liberians when they are sick, judging from the experience of a sitting Member of the House of Representatives.

Many feel government is gradually losing the fight against Ebola, as the administration of President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf seems to be interested in reluctantly removing the dead rather than caring for the living, an angry citizen told the Daily Observer yesterday.

Meanwhile, the Daily Observer has been informed that President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is expected to meet with the leadership of the national legislature. Key on the agenda, according to a credible source within the legislature, would be the State of Emergency, US army deployment and the issue of Rep. Forh’s daughter’s death.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here