Poor Runoff Turnout in Gbarnga


The turnout during the runoff presidential election in Ganta and surrounding towns and villages was not encouraging when compared to the first round held on October 10.

The turnout was very poor at all precincts with poll workers waiting and looking out for voters to arrive to cast their votes.

Observers attributed the slow and low turnout to several factors one of them being the many voters that were trucked to far off places who could not get back to vote as the representative candidates that trucked them could not afford to transport them for the runoff.

Another factor, according to Africano Dolo, is that some voters are now reluctant to return because their candidates are no longer in the race, especially when some political leaders including Alexander Cummings of the Alternative National Congress and Charles W. Brumskine of Liberty Party have left partisans with the option to make up their minds on who they want to vote for.

The longtime legal wrangling preceding the runoff may also be a factor that has left voters exhausted to vote in the runoff.

Moreover, we are now in the harvest period where people in the villages are concentrating on their rice farms, a situation most voters feel they cannot forgo for an election.

People in Glehyiiluu Community said “voting is for the enjoyment of others,” and therefore they cannot waste their time to go and vote, which would require them to  leave their personal obligations unattended.

In Garr Whynor, some voters complained that they could not find their names on the final voter roll though they voted on October 10. Despite their inclusion during the first round, the voters claim that their names were excluded from the FRR this time around, something NEC authorities in upper Nimba said they will address.

Polling started at 8:00 a.m. at most centers in Ganta, and there was no procrastination in the voting process unlike in October when challenges coupled with overwhelming turnout caused delays in voters casting their ballots, it was reported.

“It took me less than three minutes to complete my process,” Bill Tensonnon told the Daily Observer.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here