A 9 p.m. fire outbreak at Point 4, Colonel West neighborhood in Monrovia last Wednesday has displaced four families.
There were no human casualties, properties and personal effects worth thousands of dollars were destroyed and the survivors are appealing to humanitarian and relief agencies, including the Liberia National Red Cross Society for urgent relief.
Landlord Catherine Washington’s two daughters, Naomi Akofu, 22, and Victoria Johnson, 25, who lived in the zinc house, with renters, could not save any personal effect.
Ms. Akofu is a 9th grade student at the SSDMI said the fire left her without “anything to wear, which included my school’s uniform and a cash of US$50.”
Her sister Ms. Johnson, a teacher at the neighborhood Children Rehabilitation School, and a petty trader said she lost “everything.”
Mr. James W. Smith and Mr. Aloysius B. Jebor of the United Methodist University (UMU) said they lost everything they owned and are presently sheltering with neighbors.
Madam Dorothy Doe, 46, her mother Mrs. Sophia Sonpon and brother Archie Wesseh, 30, are also displaced.
Other victims are Junior Wesseh, Estella Freeman, Robert Doe, K.K. Sonpon, Vanessa Togba, Mamie Wesseh, Princess Nagbe, Dennis Weah, Christian Weah and Ms. Regina Ghartey with her eight family members.
Andrew Topor, 25, a student of SSDMI of New Kru Town is one of the victims.
Another victim Zazay Haba, 55, told the Daily Observer that the fire started due to unattended candle.
“I was standing near the road when children ran to me that there was fire in our house,” Haba said, “I ran to the house to see the house on fire.”
He said he joined neighbors in their attempt to put off the fire but to no avail.
“I hurriedly called for all the children in the house to gather at a safe place and just watched as the fire burnt everything down,” he said.
An LPRC Fire Truck that was alerted could not reach the fire upon its arrival, “because there was no alley for the truck to get closer to the house,” a fire officer told the Daily Observer yesterday.
“What we need now is support to be able to rebuild our lives since we have lost everything we have,” victim Victoria Johnson said.
UMU students Smith and Jebor said they survived with tee shirts and short trousers they had on before the fire.
The survivors include several children, who are being helped by neighbors, the Daily Observer learned.