Orange First Division Weekend Roundup

Freeport FC forward Frank Allision celebrates after scoring the first goal in Freeport's 2-0 win against Mighty Barrolle at the Tusa Field (Photo: Freeport FC)

The weekend actions of the Orange First Division produced some exciting and boring results with five rounds of games to climax the season.

It is usually the normal routine to start from the top of the table where the top teams are racing to the title, but our weekend review will begin at the Tusa Field where Freeport FC got their first win since March 7 in a grand style with a 2-0 win against Mighty Barrolle.

Hundreds of supporters had trooped in to watch the crucial encounter at the refurbished mini-stadium that is said to have risen over L$300,000 from gate intake.

Frank Allison recorded his fourth league goal for Freeport since joining the club from a 3rd division team in Maryland when he netted the opener in the 28th minute before Thomas Appiah made it 2-0 in the 61st minute to move Freeport to the 6th position.

The defeat was a dreadful one for Mighty Barrolle as it marked their fifth out of their last six games. Barrolle were part of the big four, five points behind the league leaders, but Sunday’s result took them out of the title race.

Earlier at the Tusa Field, Sidiki Kromah returned to his childhood match venue with a goal when he put Monrovia Club Breweries in front nine minutes on the clock against Small Town FC.

Mitis Mulbah later completed the goals tally when he made it 2-0 in the 59th minute. The result means Breweries are now four points above relegation with four games left to play.

Small Town are two defeats away from being relegated as they remain bottom of the table, 12 points away from safety.

Oilers maintained their one-point gap between Nimba Kwado after both teams settled to a goalless draw in Sanniquellie, Nimba County.

Fourth-placed Bea Mountain slumped relegation-threatened 1-0 in Ganta to reduce the gap between them and third-placed LISCR to just a single point. Musa Kebbay stroked late in the 90+5 minutes to secure all three points for the “Gold Boys.”

LISCR FC failed to a one-goal lead after Sekou Sheriff broke the deadlock in the 6th minute against Nimba United at the North Star Stadium. The home team replied in the 32nd minute through striker Mustapha Lomell.

Nimba United are still fighting to escape the relegation zone as they sit third from the bottom with 18 points from 17 games. At the Blue Field, a 48th-minute goal from Melvin Clarke helped NPA Anchors play to a 1-1 draw against Watanga FC that earlier took the lead in the 8th minute through Tamba Gbollie.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here