One Life Saved, Another Still in Torment

Baby Abass after his treatment.

Many of us have hopes and aspirations for the coming 2018 — good health, a new government and above all, long life. For one little boy miles away from Monrovia in a small town off the Robertsfield highway, the first couple of years of his life were not guaranteed, but his family fought a good battle and are sure that 2018 and the years to come will not forsake him or his will to continue living.

Baby Abass, as he is commonly called, is a fighter and for the most part of his life, he battled with digestive obstruction after swallowing caustic soda at a neighbor’s house, mistaking it for water. His family went through trials and tribulations seeking treatment for the child while watching him gradually deteriorate, undergo numerous intestinal operations and a medical trip to Ghana.

Many a night, his parents say, they lost hope that he would make it and almost asked people to take him away to a place where “he could die peacefully.”
But baby Abass would not give up. An SOS call published in the Daily Observer towards the end of 2016 caught the attention of a social worker at the JFK Hospital, who wants to remain anonymous, but stated that she retired after she helped save the child’s life.

An American doctor had arrived in Liberia at the time and the social worker gave the child’s profile to the doctor who wasted no time in contacting our reporter saying they would admit the child.

Baby Abass before his treatment.

Baby Abass spent a couple of weeks undergoing numerous medical procedures that he had now gotten used to. Frail and unable to eat through his mouth or swallow since he was a year old, JFK medical center wanted to give the strong child his life back and a reason to be a kid again.

Today, Baby Abass’ father released a picture of the now robust, thriving child, saying that he has started school for the very first time since his painful ordeal.

“I continue to tell all of you thank you so much for saving my son’s life. He is well now. You wouldn’t even know he ever had the problem that he was faced with for more than four years. Every day I thank God for you all and will bring him to the Daily Observer for you all to see him, and for us to thank you formally,” he messaged via Facebook.

Meanwhile, another boy who just turned six is still in torment and endlessly waiting for help, especially from female urologist Dr. O.O Adebisi, and funds to reconstruct his penis that was severed by a man claiming to be a circumcision doctor on January 4, 2014 at a TB Annex in Monrovia.

Philip Zinnah, Jr. cannot use the bathroom like any normal boy should and every once in a while, his stomach gets bloated so severely that he has to be rushed to the hospital. On several occasions, his bladder and stool duct almost ruptured due to the urine that cannot flow normally from his urethra.

This little body cannot continue to handle all the pain he has to go through and his father, Philip Zinnah, Sr., who is unemployed, says he is unable to eat or live a normal life because of the stress and agony of trying to find help for his son, but without success so far.

Philip Zinnah jr.

According to Zinnah, Sr., who calls our reporter frequently, pleading for mercy for his son whose stomach has grown very large, “My son can’t stand the pain and I need help for him fast. He has been using diaper at night to keep the embarrassment of the urine out of his pants,” he added.
Zinnah, Jr. has pleaded for his life and the right to be a boy again. For years and with 2018 just a few months away, the Zinnah family hopes this year will end with an answer of relief for their son.

Philip Zinnah, Sr. can be contacted through (+231) 770-690-998.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here