A man believed to be 38 years old has reportedly committed suicide by swallowing acid water. The incident took place in Gbablin, Nimba County, around the Cocopa concession on the main road from Ganta to Saclapea.
According to residents, Princeton N. Saye took his life by drinking acid on the night of Sunday, July 17. Acid (hydraulic acid) is used to process latex rubber.
Although the reason for the sucide is yet to be established, residents who previously heard about the incident told this newspaper that on Sunday night at about 10 p.m., the deceased and his wife (not named) were sitting on their frontporch, but after turning in for the night and locking both the front and room doors, he allegedly unexpectedly took his own life.
“it was after he drank the acid water,” a neighbor said, “he came outside naked and behaved as if he had gone mad. He suddenly dropped dead.”
At that point his distraught wife started screaming for help, but by the time help arrived, Saye had already expired making all efforts to revive him futile.
Radio Flumpa Station Manager, Mark Samah, said prior to commiting suicide, there were no reports of any quarrel or issues in Saye’s famiy.
The late Saye was a farmer who primarily earned his living by burning and selling charcoal to sustain his family.
He is survived by his wife, three children and a host of relatives.
This is not the first time that someone has died by the same means in Cocopa or its vicinity. Two years ago, it was reported that a seven year old boy accidentally drank acid and died.