Liberia Loses another MD to Ebola


The Liberian nation, including its Medical Community, is mourning the loss of another Medical Doctor to the deadly Ebola virus disease (EVD). Dr. Abraham S. Borbor was 57.

Dr. Borbor, who was JFK Medical Center’s only in-house Internist, died Sunday, August 24, at the ELWA-2 isolation center, where he had been receiving supportive treatments since he was taken there after coming down with the EVD.

The hospital’s communication department described him as “a faithful and loyal servant.”

He was one of two Liberian doctors for whom a US pharmaceutical company had agreed to send its experimental drug/serum, Zmapp, to be tried on. The other medical practitioner, Dr. Philip Z. lreland, recently “triumphantly” walked from the isolation center having “fully” recovered from the deadly virus. He and his colleague, Dr. Borbor, along with other doctors, were in the same isolation center, fighting for their lives.

Dr. Borbor was the deputy Chief Medical Officer of JFK. He was also the head of Internal Medicine, which includes the Out-patient Department of the hospital. A source at the hospital told our Health Correspondent that he was also the chief consultant of the Monrovia Rehabilitation Center and the crafter behind the reopening of the hospital’s ear, nose and throat department sometime early this year.

“He was the doctor that all the nurses looked up to. He served as the mediator between the clinical staff and hospital administrators,” our source, who asked not to be named because he was not authorized to speak to the media, said.

Dr. Borbor, who had four biological children—a girl and three boys—joined the hospital in 2008 after returning from Tanzania where he had spent six years studying Internal Medicine.

He was Monday buried on a private plot in the Mount Barclay Community. Our Health Correspondent was told that the coffin was provided by the Hospital, while the government made available the burial plot.

The hospital, through its communications department, released a statement to the Observer, Monday: “JFK Hospital has lost a true and unforgettable hero, who was generously special. He was the father of all nurses and para-medics. They looked to him for physical, mental, and medical counseling. Most of them call him ‘father.’ The hospital will mourn for years his loss and wonders whether he can ever be replaced. We want to admonish our staff to remain steadfast and vigorous; roll-up your sleeves and put on more muscles to fight this virus, which has taken away a loyal and faithful servant.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here