Health Ministry Urges Medical Directors to Accept ‘Patients’

0
848
Ebola gear2.jpg

The Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MOHSW) has urged over 200 medical directors from hospitals and clinics across the Liberia to accept patients and not turn them down.

This call is coming in the wake of constant media reports that hospitals and major health facilities were allegedly rejecting patients showing certain symptoms that might somewhat look like the deadly Ebola Virus disease (EVD).

At the weekly press briefing held by the Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism (MICAT) Thursday, July 17, the Assistant Health Minister for Preventive Services, Mr. Tolbert G. Nyenswah, confirmed that some healthcare delivery institutions were rejecting patients without diagnosing the case of those patients fearing that they (patients) had come in with the EVD. “This has grabbed our attention at the Ministry,” Min. Nyenswah stated.  

He maintained that JFK, Phebe Hospital, Redemption Hospital, St. Joseph Catholic Hospital, among others, have committed themselves to supporting the fight against the spread of the virus.

Nyenswah said at the end of their meeting with the health facilities’ medical directors, they assured the Minister of Health and Social Welfare that they will not reject any patient seeking medical treatments at their facilities.

Speaking on related Ebola developments, he disclosed that 11 persons, including health petitioners, who had been tested positive with the virus, which has a case fatality rate of 90 percent, have been released from isolated areas and reunited in their communities after they repeatedly tested negative of the Ebola.

The Asst. Health Minister also told the press conference, which is broadcast live, that to date, there is no vaccine or cure for the deadly Ebola virus, which has now added Bong County to its list of casualties.

The four new Ebola cases reported in the country are in Bong, and it is among health workers, who are on the frontline fighting to save the lives of sick people. Among the four, one has so far been confirmed positive as having the virus.

The Bong outbreak now brings the total number of persons that have fallen prey to the virus to 73 since the outbreak was reported in March.

From that number, at least 54 persons have died and included in that number are 11 health workers, according to the Ministry’s Situation Report on the outbreak in the country.

Leave a Reply