Gbarnga to Guinea Road to Be Dedicated in October

0
994
Gbarnga-Ganta-to-Guinea border Road .jpg
Gbarnga to Ganta to Guinea border Road

The European Union Liberia Head of Delegation, Madam Tiina Intelmann, has disclosed that the portion of the road from Gbarnga to Ganta, ending on the border with Guinea, will be dedicated in October.

Ms. Intelmann further disclosed that at the moment the Chinese construction company building the road is now only doing the last three-kilometer stretch of the road and would be ready for the dedication.

She said the road, which is 67km long, would be maintained for the next 10 years by the Chinese and afterwards turned over to the Liberian government. However, before it is turned over to the government along with the other portion connecting Red Light to Gbarnga, she disclosed, the company would do one more coating from Red Light to the border with Guinea.

The portion from Red Light to Gbarnga, which is 176km, will be completed by January 2017, Madam Intelmann said, citing delays as a result of the deadly Ebola virus disease outbreak. She, however, stated that 92km of the road is now completed.

According to her, 60 percent of the over US$237 million allotted for the project is a grant from the European Union, while the remaining 40 percent is a loan from the World Bank, which is implementing the project.

On the durability of the road, she stated that two international companies — OPUS International and IMC Worldwide UK — have been contracted to evaluate every stretch of the road and so far the EU is very satisfied with the performance of the two Chinese companies building the road.

“Everything we put in place here in Liberia is durable, up to standard and long lasting for the people of Liberia,” Ambassador Intelmann emphasized.

The EU Head of Delegation said that she is happy that many Liberians were seen operating some of the heavy equipment during her inspection visit few months ago.

She further disclosed that negotiations are ongoing between the EU and the Liberian government for the maintenance of the Cotton Tree to Buchanan road and the road leading to the border with Sierra Leone.

Authors

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here