Five Family Members Survive Ordeal

0
736
Flashback-_web.jpg

The five family members, including three children,  who last Thursday suffered what a doctor described as ‘suffocation due to heat’ in their Zeon Town, ELWA community home, have thankfully survived their ordeal.

They are Sabastine Saye, his wife, Joyce Bartuah and their three children, Erica,  5, Eric, 5, and Patience Saye, 15.

Doctor Rufus Tall, head of the Sunrise Clinic in the ELWA Community, where the victims received treatment, told the Daily Observer via mobile phone that the family suffered a major suffocation due to heat in the room.

The heat was produced from an unattended coal pot in their room while they were asleep, said the doctor, who further explained  that charcoal has some dangerous chemicals that could cause unconsciousness, if not handled properly.

When the Daily Observer visited the victims early Monday morning, the wife (Joyce) said that the tragedy started on her twin children, Erica and Eric.

According to her, she went outside to prepare her cassava gravy soup, which is part of her daily routine to sustain the family. She said she was on her way back to the room, when one of the twins started to shout, “Mama see, Mama see,” but when she looked around she couldn’t find anything, but the child kept yelling at her to see.

Joyce said it was then that she began to call for help and then she lapsed into unconsciousness, and then her husband and her big daughter followed.

Joyce said her family is grateful to their neighbors who helped to take them to the clinic. She said they are presently staying with a relative in the same community.

Authors

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here