First Division Weekend Roundup: Kwado Slip, Anchors Drop Relegation, Freeport, Oilers Share Points

An action photo from the match between Freeport FC and Oilers (Photo: Freeport)

The gap between the top two teams in the Orange First Division league on Sunday extended to two points following Nimba Kwado’s 2-0 defeat against Bea Mountain in Kinjor, Grand Cape Mount County.

Abdulai Bility was the star player of the day after scoring a brace to secure the crucial win for the “Gold Boys.”

Bility netted the opener with just four minutes plus added time left to end the first half 1-0 in Bea Mountain’s favor.

After several minutes of goal drought in the second half, Bility completed his brace by firing home the final goal of the game in the 70th minute.

The win increased the ‘Gold Boys’ points to 34 from 18 games, two points behind Kwado, four behind league leaders, Oilers.

Their position could change eventually when the FA communicates with LISCR after Nimba FC forfeited their game on Sunday due to late arrival.

Elsewhere, NPA Anchors dropped to the relegation zone after they were beaten 2-0 by Nimba United at the ATS.

Two first-half goals from Exodus and Ben Benaiah sealed the victory for United as they moved a point above relegation with four games left to play.

In the second kickoff at the ATS, it was a dramatic encounter as league leaders Oilers came from behind twice to settle to a 2-2 draw with Freeport FC.

Frank Allison recorded his fifth league goal from seven appearances when he put Freeport in front 17 minutes on the clock before Fred Brooks leveled things up five minutes later.

Freeport took the lead for the second time in the 38th minute through defender Budu Sherman to send Freeport for half time with a 2-1 lead.

Oilers could not afford to lose all three like their closest contenders Kwado as they fought back to share the points, thanks to Fred Brooks for his second goal in the game.

In Kakata, Augustine Otu continued his scoring streak. He scored a late equalizer in the 74th minute to help Watanga settle to a 1-1 draw against Monrovia Club Breweries. It took 70 minutes before the deadlock was broken by Benjamin Sarkoh for Breweries.

The match between Mighty Barrolle and Small Town FC did not play after Small Town FC forfeited due to late arrival.

This means Small Town will now play in the second division league next season. They remained at the bottom of the table with seven points, 14 points away from safety with four games remaining.  


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here