Two children, Gifty Karnue, 7, and T-boy Karnue, 4, nearly lost their lives when fire ransacked their zinc shack in Doe Community leaving them severely burnt, while another fire incident two days later left 32 persons homeless.
The fires, which occurred on Friday and Sunday (December 9 and 11) and completely consumed four zinc shacks, were reportedly the result of ‘electrical faults.’
Francis Flomo, a motorist, told this newspaper that when he returned from running his bike, he saw smoke bellowing from a room in which Gifty and T-boy were trapped, and the kids were heard crying for help.
“One girl (not named) joined me and we broke the lock to the door and rescued the children,” Flomo said, adding, “The two kids would have died if we had not gone to their rescue.”
The mother of the kids, Patience Kollah, said she was selling on the 12 Room Road, but left John Gonkarnue, father of the kids, in charge of the children.
“We lost everything we ever owned in the fire, but thank God that my children survived, although they suffered burns,” Patience said.
She appealed to the public for assistance because the family now lacks the means to take care of the children since the fire burned all that they owned.
Another person whose zinc shack was burnt to ashes on the afternoon of December 9, Mamie Williams, said she and her friends went out to sell when the fire incident occurred.
“We lost all the things in my little shop which I attached to my house as well as everything else in the house including L$10, 000,” she lamented.
One of the victims, Cecelia Siaway, told the Daily Observer that her children were watching an African movie when she left the house.
“We were renting electricity supply from an individual only identified as ‘Body-man.’ I believe that this damage came from an electrical fault,” Siaway said.
The victims, 32 in number, are calling on kindhearted persons to come to their aid as they are presently staying with neighbors and in need of food and clothing.
The victims can be reached via cell numbers: 0776780579 & 0886618720.