An unattended coal pot has been blamed for the destruction of three zinc shacks, with a total of eight rooms, occupied by three families, including children, in New Kru Town, Monrovia, on Wednesday.
According to fire victim Sylvester Wleh, “the incident took place about 5:30 p.m. when I returned from Douala Market to see my residence ablaze.”
Wleh said he and the rest of his family could not recover any household items, including cash totaling L$31, 000, television sets, clothes, children’s school uniforms and shoes and many other personal effects.
“We are left with nothing except the clothes on our backs,” he said. “I am appealing to the Liberia National Red Cross (LNRC) to come to our aid.” He said they would appreciate blankets, clothes and utensils.
Wleh said he can be contacted at 0775-058-868/0880-410-858 and appealed to other humanitarian groups in the country to assist.
“We are grief stricken because we lost everything and I am worried about my three children who must start life with nothing at the moment,” Wleh said. “Please, we need your assistance,” he pleaded.
Wleh and fellow victim Joseph Tapson said they served as local volunteers at the LNRC project for women in the community. “The fire took us by surprise and today we need LNRC’s support,” Tapson said.
Slum communities, including the borough of New Kru Town, have suffered several fire incidents in the recent past, destroying thousands of dollars worth of properties and valuables because many victims minimize the risk involved and as a result suffer the unfortunate consequences of homelessness and starting life all over again.