Convoy Victims’ Family Wants Befitting Burial


The families of the two minors who were killed by President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf’s motorcade a week ago are demanding that the government provide befitting burials for the children.

A police vehicle in the President’s convoy last Wednesday, November 30 killed Melvin Tucker (7) and Jackson Tucker (9) while crossing the street.

The accident occurred around the ELWA Junction at about 5:23pm as the escort vehicle was returning from the Roberts International Airport to Monrovia.

President Sirleaf immediately proceeded to the home of the victims’ families in the Gbargboe Town Community in Paynesville upon her return to the country yesterday. She was greeted by weeping family members of the deceased.

After the tearful welcome, a representative of the families, Mark Korda, said the death of the kids is the will of God and “no one can ask Him why.”

“This is an accident and there is nothing we can do. We know it was not intentional and we want to appreciate you all for the way the government has been identifying with us,” Korda said, indicating further that it is incumbent upon the government to provide the deceased boys a befitting burial.

He told the President that a plot of land has been identified in the Gbengbar Town community where the remains will be buried. He said the two families have decided that the two boys be buried in the same grave.

The burial is expected to take place this Saturday. He also lauded the Liberia National Police for the support during the difficult time that the families are going through.

However, LNP was charged, on behalf of the government, to take the initiative of the process. “I want to thank the LNP for working with us,” he said.

The arrangement for the interment and other activities leading to the burial were done in collaboration with the police.

Sympathizing with the bereaved families, President hoped that God would keep the families strong adding that as a mother of four boys- she was deeply touched by the passing away of the two children.

“I want to tell you people never mind for the death of these boys. I’m so sorry for what happened,” President Sirleaf said.

The convoy had earlier taken President Sirleaf to the Roberts International Airport for departure to Ghana and was returning when the accident occurred. The President immediately expressed deep sadness and regret over the accidental deaths of the two boys upon touching down at the Kotoka International Airport in Accra, Ghana.

The Executive Mansion indicated that the President immediately spoke with the guardian of the children and assured that upon her return she would publicly share the grief of the family by visiting them. She also promised to take stronger measures to avoid any reoccurrence.

Reports indicate that the driver of the lead Police vehicle, Tunies Follah, was disrobed and detained, while his Supervisor, Police Superintendent Steve Daniels is currently undergoing serious investigation, the Executive Mansion said.

President Sirleaf was accompanied to the home of the bereaved family by LNP authorities, including Col. William Mulbah, Deputy Inspector General of Police for Administration; Col. Abraham Kromah, Deputy Inspector General of Police for Operations; and Mickie Gray, Chief of Public Safety; and Defense Minister, Brownie J. Samukai, Jr., among others.

Meanwhile, the President termed the outcome of her visit to Ghana, Nigeria and London as fruitful and in the interest of the country and sub-region.

President Sirleaf said in Ghana she joined other African leaders to witness 7 political parties sign a Code of Conduct committing themselves to non-violent elections and peace and to accept the election results scheduled for today, December 7.

She said in the United Kingdom, she also joined Liberia’s education authorities to raise support for education in Liberia; while her visit to Nigeria was mainly to familiarize herself with the activities of the ECOWAS Commission.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here