5,000 Students Qualify to Write WASSCE Thursday


    The 5,034 students, who registered to sit this year’s West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) will begin writing the exams on Thursday, the Head of the National Office (HNO) of the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) in Monrovia, has confirmed.

    Reading from prepared lists of statistics regarding the number of registered students late Tuesday evening, April 1, at his Congo Town office, Mr. John Y. Gayvolor, Sr., disclosed that of the number of registered students, 2,569 are males constituting 51.03 percent, while 2,495 are females, who constitute 48.97 percent.

    To this number, Mr. Gayvolor reported an increment of 765 or 17.92 percent, against the number of students that sat the test last academic year.

    Unlike last year when students who sat the WASSCE represented 32 schools only in Montserrado and Margibi counties, this year students, who were registered are from three counties and 47 schools.

    Three of the 15 counties that registered the students are Montserrado, Margibi and Grand Bassa.

    The WAEC head of office told the Daily Observer that of the 47 schools, seven are publicly-owned and constitute 15.91 percent; the remaining 37 or 84.09 percent represent privately-owned or faith-based institutions.

    Processes leading to the registration of students for WASSCE, Mr. Gayvolor said, were opened to all schools across the country; “We are of the hope that by next academic year, WAEC may phase out, and in its place, the WASSCE will be fully activated.”

    The WASSCE—that begins on Thursday, April 3—will continue up to the end of the month in keeping with the rules that govern its administration.

    “At the end of the exams, we will begin administering the age-old WAEC to the rest of the students.”

    Mr. Gayvolor maintains that his office has put in place such measures as would ensure strict compliance of rules forbidding students from entering the exam halls with mobile phones, and other electronic communication gadgets or devices.Any students found in violating of these rules will have his or her results automatically cancelled.   

    The WAEC had previously been offered in only four subject areas, with objective questions. It later increased to nine subjects. WASSCE covers all subject areas including agriculture, arts and crafts, etc.

    The WASSCE is a type of standardized test in West Africa. It is administered by the WAEC and is only offered to candidates residing in Anglophone West African countries.

     However, there are two different types of the examinations: WASSCE, (November/December) also known as the General Certificate Examinations, (GCE) its former name; all students from private and public schools are allowed to take this examination, and uniforms are not compulsory.

    Moreover, other rules and regulations are applied on every candidate.

    Then there is WASSCE (May/June) – also known as the Senior School Certificate Examinations (SSCE), by its former name; it is made for all private and public schools in West Africa.

    They must also wear distinctive uniforms as required by the standards set by the school boards. This examination is offered during the summer (May to June), and the results are available by August.


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here