At least three people in Liberia have been confirmed with new cases of the Ebola virus disease (EVD). The first is a 10 year old boy, Nathan Gbotee, whose case was reported late Thursday evening by Dr. Francis Kateh, Deputy Health Minister and Chief Medical Officer of Liberia.
The second case, young Nathan’s father, is yet to be announced by health authorities, but was confirmed by a reliable source at the Ministry of Health.
An anonymous source told the Daily Observer on Friday it is likely that within the next 48 hours, there would be no less than five new cases among the Gbotee family as the boy’s mother and other members are showing “very clear signs and symptoms” of the EVD.
The Gbotee family, who lives in the Cowfield, Du-port Road Community, outside Monrovia, is now quarantined at the Eternal Love Winning Africa (ELWA) II Ebola Treatment Unit (ETU).
Meanwhile, one hundred and fifty three persons (153) have been so far placed under surveillance as health officials seek to control a new Ebola outbreak in Monrovia more than two months after Liberia was declared free of the virus, health officials said.
Liberia was last declared free of the EVD transmission for the second time on Thursday, September 3, after completing a second 42-day period without reporting a new case in the country. This is the third time that the disease has been reported in Liberia in the last two years.
Following the Ebola-transmission free declaration, the nation entered a 90-day period of heightened surveillance aimed at preventing a future re-emergence of the disease. Unfortunately, the nation is now reporting a new outbreak.
A check on the World Health Organization (WHO) website reporting on the current Ebola situation in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, has not yet reported on the new cases in Liberia since yesterday.
However, WHO sums Liberia’s Ebola infections since it was first reported in March of 2014 as 10,672. Of this number, at least 4,808 deaths were recorded, according to the WHO.
Most of those deaths occurred during the second wave of the first outbreak, which was reported in late March 2014.