Parents of two boys who mistakenly drank caustic soda recently have appealed to Liberian and other philanthropists to save the children’s lives.
Earnest Konneh, 10, and three-year-old Mackieboy Fredrick are both dying slowly as the result of drinking caustic soda water, which the boys mistook for water when they were thirsty.
As for Mackieboy, his father Winston Fredrick said the incident happened in Todee, Lower Montserrado County on March 24 this year when the boy was left alone to play with his friends.
Mr. Fredrick said it remains a mystery how Mackieboy found the caustic liquid that was concealed in a secret place in their home.
“We left him playing with his friends and went out of the house. But when we returned home late, neighbors informed us that the boy, apparently being thirsty, drank the caustic liquid, which he thought was water,” he said.
Since Mackieboy’s ordeal, his parents have taken him to the Nyehn Clinic in Todee District, C. H. Rennie Hospital in Kakata, Margibi County, the MSF run health post in Barnersville, outside Monrovia, the John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Sinkor, the ELWA Hospital, and SOS Children’s Clinic, but still have no cure for his internal injuries caused by the poisonous solution.
In the case of Ernest, his mother, Mrs. Frances Konneh, said he drank the caustic liquid on April 30, 2016, and has since been taken to several health centers as well; but again, received no remedy for the damage caused by the highly toxic liquid.
“Since the incident, my son’s throat has been blocked, and he does not swallow any solid food or even take in water,” Mrs. Konneh lamented.
She said the incident took place at their residence near the Aluminum Factory in Barnersville, outside Monrovia, while the parents were also out of the house and had left the boy playing with friends.
Anyone able to help Ernest seek advanced medical care abroad can contact his uncle Boimah G. Cooper on cell numbers 0777524691 and 0886524691.
For Mackieboy, his parents have also appealed to kindhearted individuals to help save his life by providing the means for him to be taken for advanced medical treatment outside the country to Ghana or the United States of America. His parents can be reached via cell numbers 0886852120 and 0777214247.