Liberia: Man, 29, Rapes 13-yr-old Epileptic Girl

In Saclepea, Nimba County, police are investigating a 29-year-old man, identified as Melvin Saye Moses for the alleged rape of a 13-year-old girl. 

The rape incident, according to reports, occurred in Karyee Town, Yarwin Mensonnoh Statutory District, Nimba County. The rape victim is said to be suffering from epilepsy.  According to the World Health Organization, epilepsy is a chronic noncommunicable disease of the brain that is characterized by recurrent seizures. 

The seizures occur in brief episodes of involuntary movement that may involve a part of the body (partial) or the entire body (generalized) and are sometimes accompanied by loss of consciousness and control of bowel or bladder function. Epilepsy affects around 50 million people worldwide.

Police sources told the Daily Observer on condition of anonymity that on September 15,  at about 7 pm, they were alerted of the incident, and immediately a team was dispatched. The suspect was arrested and brought to Saclepea for investigation by the Women and Children Protection Section.

The Police investigation disclosed that the perpetrator forcibly took advantage of the girl’s epileptic condition and raped her in the bush behind her family house in Karyee after her grandfather had gone on the farm.

Police quoted the grandfather, Joseph Langar, who said that the biological father of the rape victim is currently in the Southeastern part of Liberia on a gold mine.

Explaining to the police, he said, “my granddaughter doesn't know anything about ‘man business’. Her mother is no more and her father, who works, is also not here and, because of her health condition, she was brought to me to be treated.

“Because of the health problem, we decided to keep her in the town to prevent her hazard or risk. Surprisingly, this man forced her into the bush and had sexual affair with her after I went on the farm for food.

The grandfather further explained that the shouting and crying voices of his granddaughter claimed the attention of the neighbors, leaving them to go for her rescue.

However, after the police's preliminary investigation, the suspect admitted to the crime but said it was an agreement between him and the girl, so as to give her a snail in return but, surprisingly, she started shouting and calling the crowd on him.

Meanwhile, the victim is said to be undergoing medical treatment at the Saclepea Comprehensive Health Center, while the perpetrator is still in police custody, pending court trial.