The Liberia Football Association (LFA) held its annual awards night on Saturday, October 2 at the Ministerial Complex in Paynesville.
Hosted by on-air personality Grace Weah (alias Master Queen) and former national team player Kelvin Sebwe, several players, coaches, and sports media practitioners and institutions were recognized for their standout performance during the previous edition of the Orange national league season.
In addition to the two biggest awards of the night, Men’s and Women’s MVP, other awards including Best Goalkeeper, Best Defender, Best coach and Fair Play in both men’s and women’s divisions were also presented at the colorful event.
After helping the Oilers to retain their league title, midfielder Fred Brooks won the MVP award ahead of Nimba Kwado’s Alloy Brown and Watanga’s Augustine Out.
In the women’s division, Angeline Kieh retained the MVP award. Kieh, who is currently in the US on an athletic scholarship at Campbellsville University, had a perfect moment to celebrate retaining her award as she scored the lone goal in her University’s 1-0 win against Life University the same night she was named MVP of the 2020/Orange Women’s division league season.
During the league season, Kieh had a difficult start after the departure of several key players from Earth Angels. Her chances of becoming a contender for the MVP award were slim, but she did not give up.
In the absence of good players to make a good team, Angeline became a utility player on her team by playing both attacking and defensive roles.
Not only did she play a leadership role during Earth Angels’ crisis period, she rose to the occasion to help her team move to the third position on the log after the signing of additional players to beef up the squad. She ended the league season a joint top goal scorer along with her rival Agatha Nimene who missed out on yet another MVP award.
Both Brooks and Kieh walk away with black and silver Kia sport-utility vehicles (SUV) plus L$300,000 respectively.
The full list of 2021 LFA Awards winners
- Most Valuable Player Male: Fred Brooks (LPRC Oilers)
- Most Valuable Player Female: Angeline Kieh (Earth Angels)
- Highest Scorer Male 2nd Division: Osuma Kamara (Mighty Blue Angels)
- Highest Scorer Male 1st Division: Augustine Otu (Watanga)
- Joint Highest Scorer Female: Agatha Nimene (Blanco) and Angeline Kieh (Earth Angels)
- Best Coach Male: Cooper Sannah (LPRC Oilers)
- Best Defender Male: Mehnpain Dolo (LPRC Oilers)
- Best Defender Female: Francisca Howe (Earth Angels)
- Best Goalkeeper Male: Mohammed Kanu (Nimba United)
- Best Goalkeeper Female: Olive Wolo professional sisters
- Best Referee Male: George Rogers
- Best Referee Female: Sylvanus Garnett
- Fair Play Team Female: Blanco
- Fair Play Team Male: Nimba FC
- Best Journalist Male: Joseph Morris Vincent
- Best Journalist female: Naneka Hoffman
- Best Electronic Media: ABC Radio
- Best Social Media: Liberia Sports International
- Best Print Media: News Newspaper