World Football governing body FIFA, and African football governing body CAF, on Sunday, September 5, postponed the 2022 FIFA World Cup African qualifiers match between Guinea and Morocco over the security situation in Guinea.
The Atlas Lions of Morocco completed their first training session in Conakry, Guinea on Saturday ahead of their second round-two match in the ongoing qualifiers slated for Monday, but on Sunday, they woke up to the sounds of heavy gunfire. FIFA and CAF in a statement announced that they are monitoring the current situation in the Guinean capital, Conakry.
“To ensure the safety and security of all players and to protect all match officials, FIFA and CAF have decided to postpone the FIFA World Cup 2022 qualifying match Guinea vs. Morocco, which had been scheduled to be hosted in Conakry, Guinea, on Monday 6 September.
Rescheduling information will be made available at a later date,” FIFA and CAF said in the statement. A coup d’Etat was confirmed in Guinea on Sunday following the heavy gunfire between presidential guards and a division of the country's Special Forces.
Moroccan news outlets reported that the tension in the West African country did not cause any threats against the Moroccan national team. The hotel where the Atlas Lions are staying is said to be near the incident scene, but the Special Forces team that captured President Conde was only interested in the presidential palace, sources told the Moroccan media.
Guinea began their qualifiers campaign with a 1-1 draw versus Guinea-Bissau on Wednesday in Group I. They took the lead in the seventh minute courtesy of Francois Kamano’s effort at the Stade Olympique, but hosts Guinea-Bissau equalized through Joseph Mendes’ 51-minute goal to share the points. Morocco, on the other hand, secured a 2-0 victory over Sudan in Rabat to move top of the group.